Thursday, September 18, 2008

Here we go again.


I hadn't run 16 miles since my last-first-and-only marathon in 2003. Ever since I checked-mark the 26.2, I've stayed at my favorite
distance: the 10k and 21k (half-marathon) which are abundant from October thru February in this part of the world.

Regarding the 26.2 –Well… been there, done that, and have the hardware to prove it. After that, I swore not to run that [never-ending] distance ever again. But now, and please don't ask me how, I was peer-pressured into registering for a full IM.

I'm somewhat of a loafer-procrastinator-excuser, so in that line, I always find some fair justification to cut the training short. Avoiding to perform becomes an art form. When it calls for 14 miles, I might run 13. If it calls for 20 intervals, I might cut it at 18. When it calls for 5 hrs on the bike, I'll probably ride for 4.5 hrs.

You know that the appointment is now rapidly approaching when the IM training calls for 16 miles for this last Saturday. I felt an ominous calling of sorts. Luckily, I got an invitation to run with Terri's group. They start in the darkness of the night at 5:00am with a 6 miles loop around Weston that ends at the starting point where more people join for an additional 10 miles. From a logistics point of view; --very simple.

I was awoken at 4:00 am with what seemed like a vague-fainting alarm clock, that just happened to be right next to me. Got up to look out the window. Forget this --this is for the birds. Only drunk teens and blood sucking bats are out at this time of the morning… but I felt the compromise. You see, I'm also a team player. I know how to take one for the team, and Terri had sent me a note expressing that she'd
be waiting for me that morning. So there I found myself wondering why in the world I'd leave my warm-cozy bed while in my deepest state of unconsciousness only to inflict punishment on my drowsy and stiff body.

But just like in any western movie, it all had a good-honorable-happy ending. I don't think I would've run that distance, if it wasn't because I ran with a group. Not only did I run the 16 miles, to be honest, it wasn't all that bad.



Reinaldo.

No comments: