Thursday, September 18, 2008

Riding with the Broward Barracudas

Carlos and I meet at the town center as planned and rode to Las Olas using route #2 and then to Boca via A1A. Carlos wanted add some variety so we used route #1 to get back to Weston. Got lost for a little while doing loops around the airport but finally managed to find our way out. I find Griffin to be a bit bike-friendlier than Broward Blvd as well as a little more complicated to connect to/from Las Olas.

At 6:30 am the day started dark and cool. But it soon warmed up as we rode with the sun right in front of our eyes.

As they ride progressed, the sun seemed to turned from a welcomed friend to somewhat of a foe. Its dual personality was soon revealed to us. It became like a satanic combustion engine expelling its infernal heat with cruelty roasting any exposed portion of skin. It must have been on a bright day like this that God finally decided to create the colors dyeing the skies with all sorts of hues of blue. Let me tell you, there is something about bright sunshiny days and fine moods. As if the two were married having [on] and [off] days.

It was hot indeed, yet the hotter and the more sweat poured down my whole body, the more determined, exuberant, and energetic I felt. I had been out on the bike with Carlos before. I know he likes to go hard. Luckily he wasn't feeling that good the first 3 hours of our ride which allowed me to maintain a pace where I felt comfortable. However, that didn't last the whole day. Suddenly he became another person. As we approached 3.5 hours of actual ride time, we started interchanging the lead. Whenever he took it, he really made me work hard; as he usually does. Back on South Post I could feel every fiber in my legs screaming out --OUCH!

We finished with 4.5 hours of actual riding time for 85 miles. Today, a day after, I'm still somewhat sore.

It was a very good ride. I hope to continue doing it on Sundays. It would be nice if we can get a group of about 5 people for next Sunday.



Ray.

No comments: