Tuesday, May 06, 2008

Beauty and The Beast

Not only does this hot and humid Caribbean Island close all streets for the race, the party begins on Friday night. Parades, music, people on colorful costumes dance on the streets. A Mardi Gras of sorts where tourists are sucked in and dazzled with its natural resources.

It turned out to be a windy and rainy day which contributed for a rough swim. I thought I was cruising, but my time, :35, was not too impressive for this first leg of the race. Maybe I didn’t navigate very well this day.

The bike course in St. Croix is legendary. I knew it was going to be tough. But nothing can prepare you for these 56 miles of roads. Disregard the fact that it isn't flat; --not even for a second, you're either going up or down. Never mind the 17%-27% grade climbs. Forget that descending you have sharp turns with debris all over the corners. Even when you factor the 20 mph head wind while climbing the Daughters of The Beast, I still consider the continuous vibrating of rough riding to get you the most. It sort of engraves an ominous presentiment with a morbid-sweet-and-sour excitement that keeps you jumping in bed all through the night dreaming you are falling off a cliff.

Cyclists beware! --can't stand of the seat while climbing because it is raining and that will make the rear tire slip. A dear friend saw 5 athletes next to him loose equilibrium and fall to the ground on his way up The Beast. But I knew better --I've done climbs under the rain before.

As a child at school I used to see girls play a game called "concentration". It required a lot of --just that; concentration. That's how you climb here. 2, 3, 4, or 5 mph --just breathe deep, push and pull the pedals without loosing your concentration. Endurance, patience, --tolerate the pain-- you just have to be patient. Just do what you must. Like most things in life, the reward is at the end.

I had done 2:33 in the 56 miles at Disney's 1/2 IM previously. More recently, as recent as two weeks ago, on a more technical course than Disney’s, I had done 2:40. But at St. Croix I was happy with a 3:09 for this leg of the race.

Now the run; the rain was gone by now and the sun was more than generous donating life to planet Earth. I thought the sole on my shoe was melting every time it hit the pavement. I had not been competing for such a long time (‘05, ‘06, and ‘07) that I had forgotten how important nutrition is during the bike portion. I had bonked just two weeks ago on the 1/2 marathon leg of another race. This time, with the help of a friend, I had a plan. This time I was not going to bonk. I was to consume 600 to 700 calories while on the bike. It turned out easier said than done. Eating while riding is something you have to teach your stomach to do. I was hardly able to gobble down 400 calories withstanding a share of queasiness. However, I started running quite well. 7:43 pace for mile one was within my plan. I felt strong but thirsty. Thirst is a sure sign of dehydration. I know I’m thirsty when I start seeing water mirages on the road and wish to dive in. I once became so thirsty that I plunged into a pool gorging on chlorinated pool water. It was an autonomous action of the soul.

I started drinking lots and lots of water at the water stops. After mile four, I felt I was bonking again. Damn! Not again! By mile six I realized I was running at close to 10 minutes per mile. So the next chance I had, I picked up two full cups of Gatorade and took a cliff shot. Cliff shots are 100 calories and were being offered along with Gatorade, fruits, and Pepsi at every water stop. I simply had been too stubborn thinking all I needed was water. I walked for a while drinking Gatorade and sipping the Cliff shot. Way too wasted to know for certain how long I walked, I estimate 5 to 10 minutes. I was now on the second loop when suddenly, with about five more miles to go, I woke up again. I ran 8 minute miles the rest of the way sipping a cliff shot at every water stop with a full cup of Gatorade only to prevent the awful feeling of bonking.

I'm happy with the result. As usual, it also turned out to be a learning experience. IM 70.3 St. Croix can not be compared to any other 70.3; my only point of reference are those other athletes whom I know and that also participated at the other races I've done this year.



Reinaldo.

No comments: